Ian Hickman, Chief Operating Officer
Ian held a number of Director level roles with the Audit Commission for 15 years focussing on driving improvement in public services at a national level. As Director of Local Government and Fire he led the Commission's inspection, research and policy work in relation to children and young people from 2005 to 2010. Prior to this Ian worked in senior positions in four councils including being Head of Continuing Education and Cultural Services for the newly formed Wokingham unitary authority in 1998.
He has successfully led a number of major change programmes and capital projects co-ordinating a wide range of professional inputs. At three points in his career he has been seconded to central government departments to help address issues around severe underperformance in councils and schools. Most recently he was part of the Kerslake Review of Birmingham City Council in 2014. In addition to working for NET Ian is a governor and Chair of Finance at three schools in London and is a Senior Associate Fellow at Birmingham University.
Role of the Chief Operating Officer
- Developing the strategic direction and vision of the Trust with Trustees and Chief Executive
- Compliance with all elements of the Funding Agreements with the Secretary of State (working closely with the Director of Finance).
- Maintain high standards of governance in the Trust centrally and within all its academies.
- Lead the provision of finance, human resources, property, information technology, legal and communication services to all Trust academies improving quality and driving down costs wherever possible
- Leading the Trust?s management of risk, business continuity, health and safety, equality and diversity and value for money